Most of you know that I live next door to my roommates grandma but what you may not know is that Grandma Homer is 92 years old but you may not know it to look at her. She is still really active. Anyway, for as long as I have known her she has planted something of a garden in our backyard(we share the driveway and the backyard) and she always shares the spoils. Well, last night when I got home from work Grandma Homer was standing in the middle if her pea patch eating peas she had just picked. She looked so cute just standing there smiling that I could not help but laugh. I went in to the house and quickly wolfed down a bowl of cereal and then went out to visit with grandma. She gets really lonely these days and I felt impressed to go out and visit with her. As I approached her she said “Do you want to pick peas with me Melissa?” to which I replied “I sure do”. We spent the next twenty minutes or so picking and eating peas out of the garden while I asked her questions about the other plants in the garden and how well she thinks her tomatoes are going to do this year.
She then invited me in to see her freshly washed windows in the basement and I got my yearly tour of the basement. She has given me the history of the finished basement many times but she never remembers so I just pretend like I had never heard her stories before. I actually do that with most of our conversations. I have heard almost all of her stories at least a dozen times but she never remembers that she has told them to me before so I always humor her and act like I have never heard them before. Good thing I have had years of practice with my own grandma. I would have to say; however, that the highlight of my visit with grandma (other than the fresh peas) was when she got on the HealthRider that she has in her basement and demonstrated how it worked. I will never forget the image of that 92 year old grandma riding the HealthRider. So funny!
Maybe Grandma Homer will be out pickin’ peas again tonight. She’s so cute!
2 comments:
Melissa, you are the sweetest thing! Many people would get annoyed with the repeated stories, or would try to avoid grandma Homer, so that she would not slow down the flow of the day...but not you. You are an amazing person! I think that you are really special...and I wanted you to know!
That is so cute. How is your grandma these days? I miss the hilarious stories of your visits to see her.
Post a Comment